.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Kallon signs for Saudi's Al Hilal

Sierra Leone captain Mohammed Kallon has signed a pre-contract agreement with Saudi Arabian team Al Hilal.

Mohammed Kallon

Kallon previously played for French side Monaco

A one-and-a-half-year deal worth US$10m will be completed with the club once the 28-year-old striker has passed a medical examination.

It had been thought the former Monaco striker favoured a move to the English Premier League after he bought out the remaining seven months of his contract with the French club.

But Kallon, who had a previous spell in Saudi Arabia with Al Ittihad, says this move to the 12th club of his career is the best for his future.

"I have signed for Al Hilal and I hope to do well during my time there," Kallon said.

"Football is business and you have to think about your life after your career is over, Al Hilal's offer was very good.

"I am a family man and I have responsibilities, I don't just play because I want to be the best and the most popular.

The Sierra Leone national team

Captain Kallon has paid team mates for playing for Sierra Leone

"I want to reap the benefit of my time in the game and use my funds for projects I have in mind," Kallon added.

One such project is the Sierra Leone national side and the payment of their players, a bill that Kallon has revealed he has picked up for the last two matches.

"This is my country and whatever I achieve in my career I owe to my homeland.

"I paid around US$60,000 to my team mates as it is important for them to be focussed in their play."

A move that seemingly paid dividends, with the Leone Stars sealing qualification for the 2010 World Cup draw with a goalless away draw 0-0 with Guinea Bissau.

Kallon had previously spoken about his dream of playing in the English Premier League but it seems the Leone Star has new goals in mind.

"I had offers from England, but in Monaco I paid no tax on my wages - so the move would have cost the club signing me more. Also there was the problem in gaining a work permit.

"I wanted to play in England to represent Sierra Leone and Africa but with this move I will just be doing this in the Middle East instead."

BBC SPORT | Football | African | Kallon signs for Saudi's Al Hilal