.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Peters denies Sierra Leone job

James Peters

Nigerian coach James Peters has denied having talks with the SLFA

This comes despite the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) announcing that Peters would take charge of the Leone Stars as coach.

Peters had been expected by the SLFA to oversee the side's two 2010 World Cup preliminary round matches against Guinea Bissau.

However, the 55-year-old Nigerian did not lead the team out in their 1-0 win over in the first-leg game.

Peters told BBC Sport such permanent coaching arrangements were never discussed between the two parties.

'Surprise'

"I do not consider myself coach of Leone Stars because nobody from the SLFA has discussed that with me," said Peters.

"There is no paper to prove I am the coach.

"Surprisingly I heard it on the radio that I had been appointed and I think they were just deceiving the public.

"I was sent to Sierra Leone by the West African Football Union (Wafu) President-elect Dr Amos Adamu to come and give technical assistance for the Leone Stars last two matches against Benin and Bissau respectively.

"So the question of employing me as coach should not have arisen."

'Kallon'

Peters also claimed that he was not given the chance to give out technical assistance to the team as was agreed by Dr. Adamu and the SLFA.

"I was not on the bench for Bissau match because I was not given the chance to help in training the team before the match.

"I went to help train the team but I was not allowed to as I was told that Mohamed Kallon was training the team as coach instead.

"It was unprofessional and I made it clear to the SLFA that I can not be contesting for the coaching job with Kallon."

But Bah has reiterated that he agreed with Peters that he should take up the job.

"I would not be so irresponsible to go public and announce the appointment of Peters and Kanu (without it being true).

"I discussed the issue with him, together with his assistant Ahmed Kanu, and both of them agreed."

Peters is due to return home to Nigeria on 25 October.

BBC SPORT | Football | African | Peters denies Sierra Leone job