.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sierra Leone's own Super Grandmother

At GMT 9:45am , Jasmine Gilpin, Sierra Leone’s own super gran will be awaiting the starter’s gun for the 27th London Marathon. Amongst the rhinos, human trains and colourful characters, will be Sierra Leone’s own quiet revolution. Jasmine took up marathon running at the tender age of 60. After Jasmine ran her first marathon, she was hooked. The training, build up and camaraderie at the event made an addict.

‘My daughter got me into running and I trained five days a week as it helps with the stresses of life. My time has been improving over the years. This year I hope to complete in 5hrs 30mins’.

After running her sixth London Marathon, I asked Jasmine what other ambitions she had.

‘Well, I would love to run the New York marathon. I’ve heard a lot about it. Also, I would like to complete a race in under 5hrs. As long as God gives me strength and long life, I’d like to keep running marathons every year’.

Jasmine is running for the Charity Shelter. Look out for her and give her a good Sa Lone cheer.

Mama, we salute you – you make we feel proud!

Donations should be made to:

www.justgiving.com/jasminegilpin